Prince Charles secured $1m donation from bin Laden family: report

Prince Charles personally worked to secure a £1million donation for his charity from the family of 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden, according to a report.

Charles, 73, met Bakr bin Laden, the Saudi family patriarch, and his brother, Shafiq, at Clarence House in London on October 30, 2013, to negotiate payment, according to the Sunday Times of London.

The men are Osama bin Laden’s half-brothers and the meeting took place two years after the terrorist was killed by US special forces in Pakistan.

The newspaper reported that the future king accepted the contribution despite objections from his advisers at Clarence House, the prince’s London residence, and the Prince of Wales Charitable Fund, saying that at least one of the organization’s trustees l begged to return the money.

Advisors told him that if the transaction were disclosed, it would cause national outrage and damage his reputation, the newspaper said.

Charles reportedly felt it would be too embarrassing to return the money to the bin Laden brothers.
Charles reportedly accepted the donations over objections from councillors.
Tim Graham Photo Library via Get

“The fact that a member of the highest level of the British establishment has chosen to broker deals with a name and a family that not only sounds alarm bells but abject horror around the world. . . Why would you do that? What good reason is there to do this? a source told the newspaper.

Charles reportedly felt it would be too embarrassing to return the money to the bin Laden brothers, who were allegedly not involved in any terrorist act.

Sir Ian Cheshire, the chairman of the Prince of Wales Charitable Fund, told STOL the donation had been accepted “in full” by the organisation’s five trustees.

“Sheik Bakr bin Laden’s donation in 2013 was carefully considered by the PWCF trustees at the time. Due diligence was conducted, with information sought from a wide range of sources, including the government. The decision to accept the donation was made entirely by the trustees. Any attempt to suggest otherwise is misleading and inaccurate,” Chesire told the newspaper.

A spokeswoman for Clarence House said the charity “assured us that thorough due diligence had been undertaken to accept this donation. The decision to accept was made by the charity’s trustees alone. beneficence and any attempt to characterize it otherwise is false.

Charles is said to have received other questionable donations to his charity from a controversial Qatari politician with the money delivered from 2011 to 2015 in duffel bags, a suitcase and several branded shopping bags from the famous department store Fortnum & Mason.

The revelations led a royal source to say donations were no longer being accepted in this manner.

Leave a Comment